I’ve been pleased to see a resurgence in quality educational television programs recently. Even better is that our kids are choosing to watch these programs over the just-for-entertainment children’s programs. Both the teacher and parent in me would like to take the creators of these shows out for pizza to say thank you. I hope this is a trend that we see continue to grow.
Here are some of the shows that I’m talking about. Be forewarned that the educational value in a couple of these won’t be immediately obvious, so watch the program in it’s entirety.
- FETCH! with Ruff Ruffman – Problem solving, math, science, engineering, team work, research/ scientific method
- WordGirl – Language arts, vocabulary, literacy, problem solving
- Super Why! – Reading, phonics, vocabulary
- Cyberchase – Math, science, technology, problem solving, data collection and analysis, trail and error, real life application
- Gerald McBoing Boing – Music, history, creativity, audio learners
- Pinky Dinky Doo – Vocabulary, story telling, imagination, creativity
I know there are probably others, but the kids are all asleep and I can’t ask them for help right now. Please share your comments and suggestions as I’d enjoy the feedback and ideas.