I’m a big fan of goal setting. It can provide a road map for the short or long-term and can be an effective motivational strategy. I have set a few professional development goals for this summer and have challenged a few of my friends/colleagues to do the same thing. In 2008 I realized that I could set this up as a blog meme and hopefully encourage some of my online friends to achieve a few items from their To Do Lists. There are a myriad of ways to approach this, but I’ve opted to take the short-term, easy-to-assess approach, but I’ll leave some wiggle room for you to customize it to meet your needs. The official information is below.
Summer can be a great time for professional development. It is an opportunity to learn more about a topic, read a particular work or the works of a particular author, beef up an existing unit of instruction, advance one’s technical skills, work on that advanced degree or certification, pick up a new hobby, and finish many of the other items on our ever-growing To Do Lists. Let’s make Summer 2009 a time when we actually get to accomplish a few of those things and enjoy the thrill of marking them off our lists.
NOTE: You do NOT have to wait to be tagged to participate in this meme.
- Pick 1-3 professional development goals and commit to achieving them this summer.
- For the purposes of this activity the end of summer will be Labor Day (09/07/09).
- Post the above directions along with your 1-3 goals on your blog.
- Title your post Professional Development Meme 2009 and link back/trackback to http://www.clifmims.com/blog/archives/2447.
- Use the following tag/ keyword/ category on your post: pdmeme09.
- Tag 5-8 others to participate in the meme.
- Achieve your goals and "develop professionally."
- Commit to sharing your results on your blog during early or mid-September.
- Continue to improve video skills and integrate my own instructional videos into courses.
- Finish all the items on my To Do List regarding my website.
- Submit at least 1 of the articles currently in progress for review.