Our oldest son’s class used Playdough to model the land formations about which they have been learning. He loved this hands-on project! Here’s a quick tour of the geographic landscape that he created (via iPhone video).
Here are some quick thoughts regarding this activity.
- Our son said everyone in the class really had fun with this project.
- This is an inexpensive way to encourage kinesthetic learning.
- An activity like this could potentially move beyond knowledge and comprehension and into some of the higher-order thinking skills such as application.
- I’m predicting that the students are more likely to retain this information as a result of the hands-on application.
- You don’t always have to teach with technology. As I always say, “It’s not about the technology. It’s about the learning.”