Waze provides “real-time maps and traffic information based on the wisdom of the crowd.”
Here are a few items of note from the Waze website. (Source)
- At waze, our vision is to work in cooperation with drivers worldwide to create the world’s first live driving map, providing users with the real-time road intelligence they need for better everyday driving.
- Waze is a social mobile application providing free turn-by-turn navigation based on the live conditions of the road. 100% powered by users, the more you drive, the better it gets. Join the community of drivers in your area today!
- Waze is a social mobile application that enables drivers to build and use real-time road intelligence. The service includes constantly-updated road maps, alerts on traffic and accidents, and data providing users with the fastest route to get to wherever they need to go.
(Hat Tip to Wes Fryer for bringing Waze to my attention.)
Waze could be integrated with geography, driver’s education, and social studies.
Data generated by Waze (collected from the live maps) could be used in math and science classrooms.
Please share additional educational uses in the comments.
- Waze Combines Crowdsourced GPS And Pac-Man (wired.com)
- Waze: “Wikipedia for Drivers” Leverages Social To Recommend Routes (socialtimes.com)
- Bits: Waze, a Social Driving App, Raises $25 Million (bits.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Real-Time Traffic App Waze Raises $25M in New Funding (mashable.com)