We had a big thunderstorm come through the region last evening. This electrical storm footage was shot in Arlington, TN, a suburb of Memphis. Our son, Zeb, edited it into this short highlight clip.
Here’s a great job opportunity in an excellent school district working with wonderful people.
- Curriculum Technology Teacher (CTT)
- Arlington Community Schools
- Arlington, TN
#edtech #mlearning #edchat
“Come and join us as we explore the effects of two exercise modes on balance. The study will include repeated balance tests on a computerized test system in the pre-, middle, and post-training phases. It’s free and fun for everyone!
The study will start in February, 2013. Financial compensation and campus parking are provided” (Source).
Download flyer for full details.
I had the privilege of being interviewed by Wes Fryer for his Speed of Creativity Podcast back in October. We discussed the mission of the Martin Institute for Teaching Excellence, experiences and lessons learned from our inaugural conference, rethinking professional development, and my appreciation for educators throughout the Midsouth. Listen to the podcast by clicking on the play button below the photo.
Wes Fryer and Clif Mims
Waze provides “real-time maps and traffic information based on the wisdom of the crowd.”
Here are a few items of note from the Waze website. (Source)
- At waze, our vision is to work in cooperation with drivers worldwide to create the world’s first live driving map, providing users with the real-time road intelligence they need for better everyday driving.
- Waze is a social mobile application providing free turn-by-turn navigation based on the live conditions of the road. 100% powered by users, the more you drive, the better it gets. Join the community of drivers in your area today!
- Waze is a social mobile application that enables drivers to build and use real-time road intelligence. The service includes constantly-updated road maps, alerts on traffic and accidents, and data providing users with the fastest route to get to wherever they need to go.
(Hat Tip to Wes Fryer for bringing Waze to my attention.)
Waze could be integrated with geography, driver’s education, and social studies.
Data generated by Waze (collected from the live maps) could be used in math and science classrooms.
Please share additional educational uses in the comments.
- Waze Combines Crowdsourced GPS And Pac-Man (wired.com)
- Waze: “Wikipedia for Drivers” Leverages Social To Recommend Routes (socialtimes.com)
- Bits: Waze, a Social Driving App, Raises $25 Million (bits.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Real-Time Traffic App Waze Raises $25M in New Funding (mashable.com)
April 1-2, 2010
An event organized by teachers, for teachers, at no cost.
DEN Summer Institute Applications Due
April 12, 2010
“Attendees will have the opportunity to connect with fellow STAR Discovery Educators from all over during an exclusive, intensive, week-long networking and professional development event.”
May 22, 2010
“An unconference devoted to K-12 issues and ideas!”
June 26, 2010
“EduBloggerCons are about conversations that teach. Questions are asked, problems posed, experiences shared, and everyone learns.”
ISTE Conference (Formerly NECC)
June 27-30, 2010
The premiere event for educational technology professionals.
“It’s a conference. It’s a conversation. It’s family.”
July 18-20, 2010
“An international think tank for schools using or considering laptops or tablets as tools for learning.”